Roller conveyors are used for the transport of slabs, billets, or sheets in steel mills and hot rolling mills. Depending on the rolled product, individual loads of up to 30 tonnes or more can be conveyed. In hot rolling mills, for instance, the rolled product may not come to a stop, because the rolls to be transported could be damaged in the process. Therefore, the rolled product is constantly in movement until it is cooled down or it has arrived at the next processing step. The movement, positioning, and control of the rolled product must be continuously monitored and checked.
Proxitron light barriers, Piros infrared sensors, and pyrometers are ideally suited for material recognition and monitoring in the area of the roller conveyor. The position or dimensions of the slab can be determined and measured using light barriers or the LMB optical distance measurement. You can also scale one-way light barriers, reflective light barriers, photoelectric sensors, and infrared sensors from Proxitron, depending on the application and prevailing temperatures. For extreme temperatures (up to 600 °C), you can choose between devices with optical fibre variants with a cooling housing (200 °C). An affordable variant in a durable stainless steel housing (75 °C) can be used for less extreme conditions. The actuation temperature of Proxitron infrared sensors can be flexibly adapted to the temperature of the object from cold 250 °C to hot 900 °C. We offer optional air flushing in order to keep the lenses free from soot and scale.
Your benefit, your advantage
- High availability
- Extremely robust
- Infrared sensors: Actuation temperature variable from 250°C - 900°C
- Light barriers: extreme functional reserve
- 35 years of application experience worldwide
- Cost-optimised with scaling depending on the installation location
- Provision of samples for a test period
- Application consulting / analysis
More sensors for steel works
- Inductive surface sensors for roller paths >>
- High temperature proximity switches >>
- Pyrometers for contactless temperature measurement >>
- Hot metal detector in protection tube system for integration in roller paths >>