The process of wire drawing is an industrial application for production of a wide variety of wires. Wires are warm-rolled in an initial step, then cold-formed in subsequent process steps. Various processes, such as indirect compression or profile rolling, have established. With indirect compression the diameter of the wire is reduced by drawing it through a drawing ring having a smaller diameter. The reduction of the diameter takes place in multiple stages. In each stage the diameter of the wire rod is reduced by only about a half millimetre.
On the other hand, profile rolling enables production of rectangular wires or wires with a complex cross-section in multiple rolling stages over partially profiled rollers.
Infrared sensors from Proxitron monitor the production process for wire breaks and monitor the production process and detect wire breaks, as well as the start and end. Since the speed is approximately 30m/s, this must take place extremely quickly. Due to the high radiated heat of the rolled product and its small dimensions, we recommend the use of an infrared sensor of the type OSA with separate optic. The evaluating unit is connected to the lens with an optical fibre cable (lengths of up to 20 m).
The lens itself can be exposed to temperatures of up to 600 °C.
Therefore, detection can take place in the immediate vicinity of the wire and faults due to environmental influences such as steam or water are prevented.
The actuation temperature of Proxitron infrared sensors can be flexibly adapted to the temperature of the object from cold 250 °C to hot 900 °C. We offer optional air flushing in order to keep the lenses free from soot and scale.
Like in many steel and metallurgical applications, pyrometers/ infrared thermometers from Proxitron supervise the production process with contact-free measurement of the temperature of the material - with an ambient temperature of up to 250 °C and a measuring range of up to 2500 °C.
Your benefit, your advantage
- High availability
- Extremely robust
- Infrared sensors: Actuation temperature variable from 250°C - 900°C
- Light barriers: extreme functional reserve
- 35 years of application experience worldwide
- Cost-optimised with scaling depending on the installation location
- Provision of samples for a test period
- Application consulting / analysis
More sensors for steel works
- Inductive surface sensors for roller paths >>
- High temperature proximity switches >>
- Pyrometers for contactless temperature measurement >>
- Hot metal detector in protection tube system for integration in roller paths >>